Community service is an integral part of Berger Singerman’s culture.
We are committed to make a positive impact in our community through leadership roles in various organizations, devoting time to strengthen ties with the community and Pro Bono work.
Team members are actively involved in a variety of organizations and, in many cases, in a leadership position to bring resolution or advance various causes.
- Robert Barron, Real Estate and Corporate Partner at Berger Singerman and Board of Governors, Health Professions Division at Nova Southeastern University, was interviewed on the importance of the NSU’s research and its impact on the community.
Our team members are actively giving their time and effort to provide assistance to those in need and to improve the communities in which we live and work. These efforts are largely self-directed. Some of the Firm sponsored events include:
30th Anniversary – 30 Years with Gratitude
- For the firm’s 30th anniversary, we decided to do something many companies of our size could likely not pull off. We wanted to make a positive impact in the Boca, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Tallahassee communities where the firm has offices. The firm donated $300,000 to 30 charities in Florida, including one organization chosen by the team members in each of its four offices: Tri-County Animal Rescue, ARC Broward, Children’s Cancer Caring Center and Children’s Home Society. The total amount contributed included donations from a month-long 30th anniversary fundraising initiative which raised $50K from 100 percent firm team member participation. We built an online portal linked to its intranet to help educate the team members on the charities and to encourage the donations. The 30 charities which received contributions from the firm were recognized at Berger Singerman’s 2015 BusinessTalk event in October 2015. An annual event hosted for clients, referral sources and trading partners, the theme of 2015’s BusinessTalk was “The Power of Gratitude: Enhancing Your Professional and Personal Life.” Keynote speaker Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at the University of California, Davis, and the world’s leading scholars and authors on gratitude, spoke to the crowd of over 300 business leaders from throughout the state. In addition, the firm produced a video to showcase the charities at the event. To view the video, click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgK_s2EUt64
25th Anniversary – Giving Back, Moving Forward
- To celebrate Berger Singerman’s 25th anniversary in 2010, we gave back to the community in 2 ways. Each team member gave back approximately 25 hours of community service totally close to 4000 firm wide. In addition, the Firm’s financial contribution during our anniversary year was approximately $200,000. In honor of our giving back to the community in which we serve, we celebrated 10 charities at our anniversary event giving a total of $150,000 in total to these charities. For Berger Singerman’s 20th Anniversary, Celebrate by Giving, the Firm gave back to the community in which we serve by donating a total of $150,000 to 20 charities. Guests at both of our anniversary events were able to direct some of the Firm’s charitable giving to the selected charities.
- Habitat for Humanity – The Firm designates a day where team members participate in building houses for Habitat for Humanity. Building a home for those in need serves as a reminder that the firm is committed to enhance the lives of those in the community.
- United Way/Broward Housing Solutions – Team members have participated in painting the exterior of apartment units for clients served by Broward Housing Solutions. Broward Housing Solutions provides quality housing opportunities to meet the needs of lower income people with mental health issues.
Walks and Stair Climb
- Team members participate in various national organization’s walks and stair climb races:
- American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- American Heart Association Heart Walk, in 2010, Berger Singerman received the “Small Company, 2nd Runner Up Award” for fundraising.
- American Lung Association’s Fight for Air Climb, Miami and Fort Lauderdale
- Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
- On select Fridays throughout the year, the Firm enjoys “Jeans Day.” Team members have the opportunity to wear jeans to the office in exchange for a donation to support local charities and organizations.
Holiday Charity Giving
- In lieu of holiday cards, the Firm sends an electronic holiday greeting wherein the Firm identifies the year's charitable contribution to selected local charities.